Monday, August 11, 2008

It's a.......boy?

It’s a…..boy?
Mood: Quietly cranky
Listening to: Aristocats on TV
My youngest daughter is 8 months old. She doesn’t necessarily look like a girl. Most babies don’t look specifically like their gender for quite a while. So if some cute old granny tells me how cute he is and my daughter happens to be wearing a gender questionable outfit, I really don’t mind. Honestly, I don’t. Unless we know them, I don’t usually bother to correct the person. However, most of the times this happens, my daughter is not wearing an outfit of that type. She has pierced ears. Both of them. So if she’s wearing pink, is seated in her Very Pink Car Seat, and her older sister is asking her if she’s a good girl, well ladies and gentleman, it really isn’t a brain buster. You know what they say about ducks. If it looks, quacks, and flies like a duck, it ain’t a chicken.
I know some people make a big deal out of deciding that their children won’t be biased against certain colors just because of their gender. I have nothing against little girls in blue or green or boys in red or yellow, or even a little pink. However, most people do naturally use colors that help identify gender. It’s just habit. We define our world around us with convenient parameters. Using colors is a natural method of distinction. My daughter does occasionally wear blue and green and purple. I’m not a fan of making girls and boys into overly programmed bots, but pink and lavender just mentally fit for me on girls.
I guess it’s just my mom defensive getting rubbed when people tell me how cute my child is, but don’t bother to notice what she’s wearing and sitting in.
Becky

No comments: