Thursday, October 14, 2010

On Why the Radio is Evil – or yet another example of how I’ve turned into my mother

Mood: Thoughtful and pensive

Listening to: Broken (Seether) and the beautiful silence that is one child in school and the other asleep.

Music is very important in our house. I’m not talking about the pretentious manner of those who force feed their children classical music and find it important, I’m talking a spiritual connection to music. I LOVE music of all shades and colors (including classical) and have tried my best to expose my kids to all different kids so that they develop an appreciation for different songs, even if they don’t like a specific genre (whiney country music – looking specifically at you!) We listen to music from all over the world. Old, new, you name it. I’ve recently run into a roadblock in my quest to expose them to as many different things as possible. They have developed their own taste, and it runs strongly towards the skanky new pop music on the popular radio station.

This in combination with a growing awareness of lyrics and attitudes has made it increasingly difficult to expose them to music that goes beyond bubblegum type kids songs. Music expresses many things that are far too deep for children to understand, let alone process. Sexuality, anger, spirituality, love, etc. Most of the stuff that we listen to on the popular radio channel is pretty innocent, but I’ve come face to face with some very uncomfortably sexual lyrics (Katie, Kesha) and attitudes that I don’t necessarily agree with my children having. In fact, I enjoy the same songs that I am now determined to keep my children away from. In one way, it seems distinctly hypocritical (especially when they so helpfully call it that!), on the other hand I’m almost 30. I have years and maturity behind me that my children don’t…so tough luck Charlie. I completely support their effort to create whatever music they choose, but also support my own prerogative to decide something is too mature for them. That is my job after all.

I do use some of these things as opportunities to talk to my kids (especially my almost 7 year old) about tough issues. We’ve had conversations about drugs and boys that otherwise may not have happened. I’m a big fan of having discussions about things that our family finds important (no drinking, drugs, or boys until after college!) and brain washing them with reinforced ideas. Well, not really brainwashing, but hey, they need to get information and our family attitudes from somewhere!

I can remember growing up and being restricted to listening to either Christian pop music or oldies (i.e. 60’s pop). I don’t think I need to shelter my children quite that much, but I now completely appreciate my parent’s desire to shield me from something that can have as profound an influence as music can and did.

Becky

No comments: