Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dirty Little Punks


Listening to: 2 very chatty daughters of mine

Mood: In a funk – and not in a cool funky way

My husband has returned from the great, far away land of the US. Sanity, for the most part has returned to our house. It is summer vacation for us (India gives March end – June here, because that’s summer), so sanity is really relative. As you may have imagined, India is bloody hot in the summer. We live in Bangalore, which is relatively temperate compared with the rest of this land. It is still very hot. 

I’ve always had a rather morbid curiosity about kids that don’t want to take showers. I’ve read about different people’s children and just wondered why that would be. I used to LOVE taking showers and baths. I still do, but dread them because my children will be alone for more than 5 minutes. Now before you accuse me of being a helicopter mom, this has nothing to do with their safety. I’m afraid for my house’s safety. No supervision = you really want your house burned down, don’t you? There is no joy in rushing through a shower so that your kids will not try to blow up the microwave by sticking a whole roll of tin foil in the microwave just to see what happens; even though you’ve warned them about not using the microwave on pain of being beaten with a stick, but also about metal and microwaves not mixing.  Let me tell you, my showers are all of 8.2 seconds if anyone under the age of 30 is awake in our house.

Let me explain something about showers in India. We have small water heaters for each bathroom that warm up exactly enough water for ½ a shower. If you want more, you must sit wet and soapy while you wait for the water heater to refill. We do have functional shower heads, but no bathtubs. India has a water shortage so bathtubs are out of the question. The smarter thing to do is take a bucket shower. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s actually quite pleasant. If you can learn to take a shower with only 1 bucket of water, you don’t have to worry about running out of hot water. This doesn’t matter much in the summer because you have to be bat snot crazy to want a hot shower in the summer. It does however, make a difference in winter. You try taking a cold shower when it’s only 70 degrees out. It’s not all that fun. I do occasionally use the shower to make sure my hair is rinsed out well, something that usually isn’t all that great with a bucket, but with a record of 5 minutes with hot water, I certainly don’t linger. By the end of a hot sweaty day in India, I crave a shower at the end of the day; even if it’s just 5 minutes with a bucket of cold-lukewarm water.

However, this post is not about my showers. This post is about 2 little stinky girls who don’t like to take showers.  What gives? It took them both (especially my youngest) a while to get used to bucket showers. They just didn’t like not having a bathtub to wallow in. They don’t mind bucket showers now, but they have some mysterious problem about not wanting to clean themselves at all. Now, they fight vehemently about whether they will take showers (oh you will little piggies, you definitely will) and then who has to go first. I keep a loose tally about who’s turn it is to go first, but if all else fails, I’m the mom so I just decide and throw one in there. How does a shower not seem like a great idea after you’ve been running around all day and it’s as hot as balls outside?

Anyone have a good story about kids who don’t like to be clean?

Becky.
P.S. I love it when people follow my blog. No, this is not a subtle hint. Seriously. The follow button on the right – go find it.

No comments: