Wednesday, March 21, 2012

From the Archives: Don’t Chug It

I've decided to do a little series in here of  blogs I have previously written on Yahoo 360 before I got on Blogger. Enjoy!


(2007)
Listening to: Fat Bottom Girls – Queen
Mood: Stable for the moment

I got some feedback lately about my blog being angry/antisocial/violent lately, so I decided to blog about something a little lighter. I still am feeling that way – and probably will until I give birth – but hey, let’s let a little light in.

So it’s been a while until a blogged about my life and being a mom. I know I’ve written about some of the absurdities that moms face every day. This blog is about some of the absolutely insane things my daughter and I say to each other. I’ve noticed that these exchanges don’t sound so crazy when you’re having them. When you go back and think about them, it gets a little funny. Once of the dialogues that always gets me is when I have to remind my daughter not to chug her beverage. Which is usually every time she drinks ANYTHING. Now usually people associate chugging with beer. My daughter is a champion milk and juice chugger.  She especially excels with sippy cups. I know she’s 4, but sippy cups have been the sanity salvation for me, especially now that they have developed cups that don’t leak. No matter what.  Anyhow, she would much rather drink than eat. She will finish off a 12 oz cup of milk in, oh, 2 minutes, and then complain that her stomach hurts. Well, yes, that’s generally how it works. She knows this, but does it anyhow. So it’s become kind of a habit for me to remind her anytime I get her anything to drink. Things that seem to be common sense to the adult section of the species totally evade our younger progeny.

Another thing that tickles my fancy is when my daughter makes a proclamation in such an adult voice that you just have to turn around in surprise. For example. “Mommy. You are NOT going to watch this show. You are too young for it.” My daughter has been an only child for 4 years now. She is used to getting the attention and having tons of one on one interaction from both me and her father. We talk to her like a big girl most of the time. As a result, it’s hilarious to watch her get so big that she all but busts out of her britches. The girl has a mouth 3 times the size of her little body.  Being 4, she really doesn’t get the fact that we are not all on equal footing. She seems to think her bold proclamations will bring about the desired result she is seeking. I.e. getting to watch Noggin instead of the news. Most of the time I just look at her like she’s gone off the deep end and she ends up giggling and going off to find another toy to leave in the living room. It gets really hard not to laugh sometimes, and I don’t want her to get used to talking like that. I’m afraid she’s already going to be a bossy big sister just because of the age difference between the two girls.   It cracks me up too, when we’re talking and I correct her about something – like the sky being blue, not green – and she’ll say “Oh. Yeah. You’re right.” Like she was just testing me all along.
Becky

No comments: